Posted Date: 03/02/2022
Driver education is available for teens age 14 and up. The mission of the program is to prepare students for successful careers and a lifetime of informed choices to insure personal safety to self and others on the road.
There are specific criteria for the program listed below including mandatory meetings and fees. The course earns a Clearwater High School student .5 credit hours toward graduation. There are limited spots available. The CHS Driver Education Enrollment Form must be completed prior to the March 21, 2022, meeting.
1. The general program will serve students who are currently enrolled in USD 264 on a first-come, first-served basis starting with current high school students. If the classes are not filled, the remaining spots will be offered to the district’s 8th grade students who will have reached their 14th birthday before January 1 of the calendar year.
2. Student must have an instruction permit valid through July 1, 2022.
3. Student and parent must attend the information and enrollment meeting on Monday, March 21, at 5:30 p.m. in the CHS Auditorium.
4. The fee ($160.00) and a copy of valid instruction permit must be submitted on March 10, 2022. The online enrollment form must be completed prior to the meeting.
5. Student must attend the initial class start meeting on Wednesday, March 23, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. at CHS to set up the student’s virtual classroom and to complete the state handbook exam (will be explained at the information meeting).
Students must be available to drive at times between March 26 and July 1. Saturday driving sessions will be available, as well as sessions in the last weeks of May. We are unable to schedule around camps or vacations during that time. There will be some Saturday driving times available beginning in April, but they will not be required. The class work will be done through a virtual classroom. Students will be able to begin doing the work online after March 23 and must be completed before May 13.
Students must make an effort to participate in all assigned activities by the designated dates in order to demonstrate proper attendance. Students are also required to attend any face-to-face sessions scheduled per instructor or administrative decision. All course requirements must be completed prior to achieving course completion. Failure to complete the course will result in a failure of the course, and prohibition of participation in in-car instruction.
Students are required to successfully complete each test at 80% competency. A failure to score at least 80% on online module exams will result in the student retaking the test. If the student does not achieve at least an 80%, they must retake the exam. There is a 24-hour waiting period to force study and review. If a student does not achieve at least 80% mastery on the second test, there will be one more attempt permitted, with the same 24-hour waiting period between each attempt. After the second failure, special assistance by the instructor will be arranged. If the student does not pass on the third attempt, they will be considered to have failed the exam and will be required to meet face-to-face or synchronously with an instructor to discuss continued enrollment. Additional attempts can be given at instructor discretion. A final test will be given face-to-face with a mastery of 80% to pass the curriculum. If a student fails the first final exam, a second test will be administered. If 80% is not completed, the student will fail the class, and will not be permitted to participate in in-car instruction.
Time in Car
Each behind the wheel objective will be successfully completed to the mastery level, at the discretion of the in-car instructor. Due to the timeframe of scheduling, the student will not meet the objectives if more than two (2) scheduled driving sessions are missed. A minimum of four (4) hours of in car instruction is needed to complete the behind the wheel course. Successful completion is determined when the student can consistently and correctly perform, without instructor prompt, the driving competency/task to the satisfaction of the instructor.